Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Buggy Transformed

About a year ago my husband decided that he wanted to get an old VW Bug to fix up. He ended up with this 1965 Bug. It was definitely not pretty but it sure was a good candidate for a project!...



He gutted it, cleaned it, did a lot of little detail body work, primed, sanded, sanded, primed again, sanded, and did I say, sanded? I can't believe how much sanding and attention to detail he did on the body. Then, he painted it himself! Wow! He installed rubber insulation for sound dampening. After that I helped him install a new headliner. That was a lot of work and it turned out pretty good. Yay! We re-installed all the windows with new rubber. Whew! That was challenging! He installed new carpet, recovered and installed the backseat, installed new front seats, seat belts, new trim, bumpers, etc., etc. He did way more than I could possibly list. He still has a lot of little things to do on it like painting the wheels, get hub caps, install running boards, etc. But, it's so exciting to see it coming together that I can't wait to show it off for him.

After a year of hard work...lots and lots of elbow grease...it's been transformed! This last weekend he started it up and we got to take it for a test run. Wow! It's amazing that this is the same car!



Here's before and after pictures of the engine...



I've got one happy hubby! :-)


I think the transformation is incredible. I also think it's really cool that he got many hours of enjoyment working on it and the end result is a cool little car. It's also a great example of recycling. I love that!

2 comments:

Pickyknitter said...

Holy cow, he did that in only a year? Can he work on my spinning backlog too?

Sel and Poivre said...

Wow! Talk about an FO! I love the colour he chose. How fun that you can drive in it and how good of you to include before and after shots of the engine! Its like getting to peek at the wrong side of colourwork!