Thursday, September 11, 2008

Cooler Weather and Fun in the Kitchen


During the Summer I try to avoid baking as much as possible so I don't heat up the house. Well, the weather has been cooling and I baked some muffins for breakfast last Saturday. Yum! There's nothing like fresh baked bread (of just about any kind...muffins, cakes, bread, cookies, crackers). And, I had an idea...measure out the dry ingredients for muffins into storage containers ahead of time. Then, whenever we want muffins I'll just add the wet ingredients and fruit, and bake. That would make the process a bit quicker and satisfy our morning hunger sooner. So, I bought some new storage containers (reusable and recyclable) this week and today I measured out the dry ingredients so they're ready to go. It'll be fun to try one out this weekend. :-)

I also harvested some Basil today to try freezing into cubes that I'll be able to use over the coming months after the Basil is finished for this year. I harvested a heaping colander full...


Picked off all the good leaves, washed them, washed them again, dried them, and placed them into the food processor...


I added a little bit of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and put it into an ice try...


It was fun and smelled soooooo good! I can't wait to try it to see how well it worked. Fresh Basil is so delicious and we use it a lot during the Summer. I always miss it during the Winter. If it works, this will be great! :-)

2 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

Oh I'm sitting inside treating myself to some daytime knitting (which I honestly rarely do) rather than harvesting basil - the thought of how good it will smell- as you point out though is tempting me to drop the needles and head for the yard! Pre mixing dry ingredients is a brilliant time saver!

Pickyknitter said...

I second the dry ingredients idea. I will have to try that. As soon as I use up all the mix I bought the other day :) I am not a big basil fan, but I do reserve one of my ice cube trays for iced tea cubes - drop in your tea and it doesn't get watery! Works for coffee or lemonade or ????