Monday, May 31, 2010

Denim Lace Shawl

I love knit lace shawls. They're beautiful! I've tried making them but find it difficult... uh...make that impossible...at least, at this stage of my knitting ability. I'm working on a knit shawl that's not even very lacy and I'm finding it challenging.

So, last week, when a stitching friend of mine was crocheting the "Scarlet Evening Shawl" and I fell in love with it, I knew I had to make one. I'm so glad I did! This project was sooooo much fun and so rewarding. I started it last Wednesday and finished it by Saturday.

It's a free pattern on Ravelry but it's not in English. I think it's in Russian. I tried putting some of the directions into a translator but it didn't help. I think it was interesting though that one of their stitches is called an "air loop"...I think it's a chain stitch. :-) Luckily, it has lots of pictures and a diagram to get started. I was able to figure it out! Yay! It was easy but I had to concentrate on keeping the lattice squares right and that kept it interesting.

I used a size "G" crochet hook and a ball of yarn I bought last year, Opal Cotton (35% superwash wool/32% Polyamid/30% cotton). I fell in love with the denim-like blue colors in this and it's been waiting for just the right project. This was it! Here it is finished and before blocking...


I was so excited to get it blocked! Into the bath it went...


Blocking with my little friend, Duchess..


Blocked...


It was dry by morning. Yay! I couldn't wait to un-pin it and see how it turned out! My dress form is purple, so I had to do a little dressing to help show it off...


A little closer...


And, closer still...


The finished size is about 56" across the top, 36" down each side, and about 25" from top to the bottom point. I love wearing these as an accessory/scarf and this size is perfect for that...with a pair of blue jeans, of course!

This was so much fun to make and so rewarding! I'm amazed at how fast it went and that I can make something so gorgeous with one ball of sock yarn! I'm excited to start another crochet lace shawl and have been searching through Ravelry for another one of those "just right" patterns. Stay tuned. :-)

4 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

Oh Cheryl it is just beautiful!!!

Sandra said...

that's a great pattern! I love the linear look of the lace.

evergreenknits said...

Beautiful!

Benita said...

Very nice!!! I love the color - you can dress it up or dress down with it. You did good!