Friday, November 14, 2008

FO's for the Dogs

Yay! I love FO's! And, I loved making these! They're felted balls for doggies. I started out with some wool roving from a fleece I received years ago. I'd spun so much with it in the past and knitted up a bed for our kitty(click and scroll down to see it). It's a low quality, veggie filled roving that's not good for many things. But, it's perfect for the inside of dog toys! So, I started by rolling tight balls in various sizes for various sized doggies...


I needle felted them a little to get the wool to start binding together. I then added merino wool in various colors to dress them up. And, I got a little creative. I finished them up by tossing them into the washing machine to felt them even tighter. Here's how they came out...


I made them for family doggies for Christmas gifts. Starting from the left, I made the polka dot ball for my mom and dad's dog, Pepper. The next one doesn't reflect the pretty coral and begonia colors but it's monogrammed for my mother-in-law's dog, Rosie. The flower ball is for Daisy and the leafy one is for Aspen (more of my mother-in-law and father-in-law's doggies). The last one is for McKenzie. She belongs to my sister-in-law but my mom-in-law is taking care of her for a while. I sure hope they don't visit my blog and see the surprise!

I gave a felted ball to our dog, Salsa, a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea how much she would love it or how durable it would be. It's her favorite toy and she plays with it a lot. She's a very destructive dog when it comes to toys but she hasn't been able to hurt this toy at all. The only changes in her felted ball since I gave it to her is that it's a bit dirty. It's so fun to watch her with it and it feels really good that she loves something I made for her. I also love that it's so simple and all natural.

I entered the world of needle felting a couple of years ago when I saw it at a craft festival. I was instantly intriqued and had to try it. I didn't know anyone that did it and had very little to go on from the festival but I quickly bought some felting needles and got started. My first project was a bunny. It didn't turn out all that great so I stored it away. My next projects (click and then scroll down to see some examples) were a lot better. Recently I ran across that first bunny when I was cleaning out my craft closet and stash. I decided to throw it into the washing machine with the doggy balls to see what would happen. His shape changed quite a bit but I think he's kinda cute...


I know...this makes two posts in one day. But, I was so excited to post these that I couldn't wait. Have a terrific weekend!

4 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

Oh my gosh those balls are fabulous! I don't have a dog but wouldn't they look great just in a bowl in the centre of the coffee table? I could see the kids juggling with them or tossing them around while we chat over coffee Saturday morning. They would be awesome in Christmas motifs for the holidays too! Can you tell I kind of like them :)

Anonymous said...

Those are great felted balls. I'll bet a little cat nip rubbed on them would make great cat toys, too.
Felting is something I want to learn more about. Thanks for sharing these projects.

Anonymous said...

Nice Balls!

Acorn to Oak said...

Thanks, Cally! lol :-)