Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pebble Pouch

Last Sunday afternoon was spent by the sea. Ahhh...one of my favorite places to be. We dropped my in-laws off at the port in San Diego for their two week Hawaiian cruise. Then, we headed north along the coast to Cardiff for a wonderful lunch right across the highway from the ocean at Los Olas restaurant. It was one of those meals that everything was perfect...the company of my husband and daughter, the weather was sunny and warm but not hot, the breeze was just right, we had a table on the patio that we could look at the ocean while we ate, and the food was out-of-this-world delicious! After we ate, we drove a little farther north to Moonlight Beach (our favorite) and enjoyed a leisurely, late afternoon walk along the sea.

Whenever I walk along the beach, I'm always on the lookout for pretty shells or stones and I almost always bring something home. This time was no exception. I found a smooth, very black, beautiful little stone. I knew immediately that I wanted to bring it home and make a little pouch to hang around my neck so I could carry a piece of the ocean and my favorite beach around with me whenever I want.

Here's what I came up with...


I used some left over Berroco Comfort Sock yarn and a size "C" crochet hook. It turned out really cute. I like how the colors worked out with the single crochet stitches. Especially, on the strings where they are green on one side and blue on the other. The blue, green, and tan...like water and sand, are so pretty and fitting for my little beach pebble pouch.


I tied a knot in the end and it makes a fun little necklace/pendant to wear. It goes with a lot of things in my wardrobe because I have a lot things that are blue and/or green.


I love little projects like this. It was fast and fun and free...no pattern, just creativity. Oh yeah...and free, like no cost. :-)

4 comments:

Cindie said...

What a wonderful momento!

judith said...

Ok, I'm thinking sock yarn... very thin but I can't really get the gauge of how big this stone is. Could you put a dime or a penny next to it? It's very pretty and it has a very pretty little pouch too.

Acorn to Oak said...

The pebble is about the size of a quarter. :-)

Patty said...

What an adorable way to keep your stone. I found one when I went on my Caribbean cruise and it is very special to me too!