Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Beautiful Balboa Park - Part I

We recently spent a day at beautiful Balboa Park in San Diego with family visiting from Texas. The weather was perfect that week. It was so refreshing for them to come from temps around 100 and high humidity to temps in the 70's and 80's and low humidity. Even though I live fairly close to Balboa Park and have wanted to go for years, this was my first time there. It will definitely not be my last. The park is spectacular. It's filled with amazing architecture, museums, beautiful gardens, entertainment, trails, and the San Diego Zoo.

Here's a sample of some of the beautiful flowers growing in and around the park...

Aren't these Passion Flowers gorgeous?! I've never seen them in red before...


Here's a bud of a Passion Flower...


This is the color of Passion Flower I'm used to seeing...


Such perfect, yellow flowers with such dark centers. So cute!


The colors in this bush are so pretty with green on one side of the leaves and purple on the other...


Such a gogeous pink...




These flowers with their delicate looking petals caught my eye. I reached out to lift the flower to get a better look but...OUCH! It's covered in tiny little thorns that feel like being stung by a bug or bee. Yikes!


Hubby held it up with a cup so I could get a picture...


I had no idea that water lilies came in so many colors. So pretty!


This one even has colorful leaves...




I love this peachy, pink color!










It would be hard to pick a favorite but this might be it. I love the pink tips on the petals. And, check out the pod in the center. So pretty!


I plan to post some of the gorgeous tropical plants and flowers from the arboretum and some samples of the amazing architecture. I hope you'll come back.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I'll be back to see them! I love the flora pictures, and the red passion flower is stunning! I've only ever seen the purplish one.
And the water lilies! We have white ones and yellow ones in our lake, but the reds and pinks are gorgeous!

evergreenknits said...

Gorgeous photos. I especially appreciate the lotus flowers at the end, given my recent lotus-themed knitting!

judith said...

I went to Balboa Park in 1975 when I went to San Diego to visit my Aunt and Uncle. It was awesome, it is was one of my favorite places that I visited while there.