Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Hmmmm?

I've been saving mesh/net bags from produce for a few years now. I just can't throw them out. It seems like it would be so wasteful and it's so much plastic to put into the landfill. I've thought all along that I'd come up with something to use them for. Today, I felt inspired and gathered them up from the basket I save plastic grocery bags in. I have so many more than I thought...


I think that all the red ones came from buying tomatoes. Wow! I love tomatoes but had no idea we'd eaten so many! I also have white ones, yellow ones, even a green, a black, and an orange one.

I was thinking that I could cut them into strips, link them together to make a sort of yarn ball and crochet or knit a bag of some sort. However, my attempts have ended up with a "yarn" that is far from pleasant to work with and it looks pretty bad too. I've searched online to try and find ideas of what to use these for and have come up with nothing. I'm not ready to give up just yet. I have so many and they really seem like they could become something wonderful...or, at least, useful. Do you have any ideas?

3 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

What a tantalizing prospect to use up such colourful pieces of recycling...I can't wait to see what you do with them!

judith said...

Seems like my mom had a pattern for a crocheted pot scrubber made from these things. I don't think they were cut though, left whole with only the ends trimmed open. I'll have to consult my Aunt. Have you Googled it?

Benita said...

I use them to dye fiber in so that the fiber doesn't float all over the dye pot. Since they are plastic, they don't contaminate a dye pot.