I just finished sewing a top! I was inspired last year by the "Made by Rae" blog. She had a "Spring Top Challenge" where readers made tops, sent in pictures and she posted them on her blog. It was so cool! I wanted to join in on the fun. So, I went out last year and selected a pattern that I thought I could make, the fabric, and everything I needed to get started. Yup...you read it right...that was last year (2009). I found this to be challenging from beginning to end.
The challenge started with pattern sizing...the same thing that has kept me from sewing many other times. I looked at my measurements on the pattern chart and it said I needed to make a size that's four to five sizes larger than I'd buy in the store! That's crazy and makes no sense to me. Since I don't have much garment sewing experience, I decided to go with it...sort of...I went down a size from what the pattern suggested. But, it's still turned out wayyyy too big! I took in two inches on each side, under the arms and it helped a bit. I didn't wash the fabric before I made this. So, I'm hoping for some shrinkage in the washer and drier. Either way, it'll be a nice top for wearing around the house on hot summer days. And, I do think it's kinda cute. I love the fabric.
Another challenge that I ran into was the directions. I've heard that some pattern brands aren't as good as others. Maybe this is one of them (Simplicity 2962). The directions seemed to leave out so much detail that I needed in order to understand what I was suppose to do. I started it last year but set it aside when I got to a section that I just couldn't figure out. Luckily, I'm currently in the mode of cleaning up, organizing, and finishing up projects that have been either half done or left in the idea stage. This was one of those finishing up projects and I was determined. So, I decided to just figure out a way to make it work and I did!
The back has little ties. I think they're a bit narrow for the scale of the top and I may take them off because I don't like to lean back on a bow/knot anyway. It's uncomfortable.
A couple of steps were easy, fun, and I'm happy with the results... The pleats...
And, the pockets... The elastic gather at the tops is so cute...
The final challenge in this was getting good pictures. The pictures kept coming out too bright and losing detail, too dark, or the colors didn't look right. Oh well, it's done and I'm so happy that I beat this challenge! Yay! And, now I have a nice, cool, comfy, new top for summer. It was so/sew challenging but I just might try making something again. ;-)