Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tiny Hats for Tiny Heads

Every Wednesday morning I meet up with a group of ladies at a local coffee shop for a little stitching and girl time. Last week, one of the ladies told us that her cousin had just lost her baby at 23 weeks and that she wanted to make some preemie hats for her cousin to donate to a hospital in Chicago. Without hesitation, we all wanted to help out. So, this Wednesday's meeting will be all about preemie hats. However, knowing how I don't always get a whole lot of knitting done when we get together, I decided to get a head start. So, here are two hats I've made...


They're a lot of fun to make and take very little yarn. Both of them are made from stash yarns. I don't remember what the white yarn is called but has tiny little loops that remind me of terry cloth and it's super soft. The pink, eyelet one is made from Bernat Satin and it's my favorite. I followed a pattern that I found on Ravelry. It's great because it has five different preemie hat patterns on one. I hope these hats are the right size. It's been so long since my daughter was a baby that I don't remember how small baby heads are to know if these are smaller still. But, each one will fit a special little someone. And, each one is made with love and a prayer for a healthy, wonderful life!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I commend your goodwill knitting. My daughter similarly lost her baby last September and the hospital staff offered her some beautiful donated knitted baby items suitable for burial of the little one, and the gesture warmed our hearts. It was a relief to not have to worry about how to find clothing small enough and nice enough. This support from the community meant a great deal to us. So again, I applaud your good work. I will be donating preemie items to our local hospital.

Judith said...

I love these little hats. I am making two also to give her. One in crochet and one knit. I read some where that a preemie head size is the size of a baseball and a full term new born is the size of a softball. Again your hats a beautiful.

Sel and Poivre said...

Goodness they are too beautiful but the pink one? Delicious! Beautiful job and a lovely gesture. (BTW I'm not at my most productive in a group either!)

Erin @Days to Remember said...

They are really, really cute! Michelle will just love all these hats when she sees them. Thank you again!