Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's Done!

I started this project last spring and I can now say that the Crescendo is finally finished!


It took much longer than I had expected. After all, it's just a long rectangle, right? Well, I learned that heavily textured knitting isn't quick. I also learned that it takes a LOT of yarn. There were many times that I knitted on it a lot and felt like I'd made a lot of progress, only to find out that it had barely grown and inch or two. The slowness of it and the neutral color caused me to leave it alone many times. That's why it took so long. But, the texture and amount of yarn add up to a thick and very warm shawl.


It is a vintage pattern(click "pattern" to see it). I love the texture and that it looks complicated, but it's actually very simple cabling. I used about 16 skeins of Filatura Lanarota Puno, 100% alpaca for this project. The yarn is soft and nice to work with but it is a bit hairy and has a bit of a smell to it. I'm hoping it will smell better when I wash it. I'm also hoping that washing and blocking will make the ends look nicer. The bind off end doesn't look exactly the same as the starting end and has some waves in it. But, I think I'll wait to wash and block it until next week. I had made several deadlines trying to finish it and my latest one was Valentines Day. Since it's so thick and we have damp rainy weather, I'm not sure if it would dry in time and I'd like to wear it on Saturday.

Since I've carried this around and worked on it for so long, it feels strange that it's done. However, I now have a world of knitting project opportunities open to me that I can start on without guilt of an unfinished project. Hmmmmm? What will I do next?

7 comments:

KarenB said...

It turned out absolutely wonderful! You'll be nice and toasty on Saturday.

Sel and Poivre said...

I knew as soon as the title of the post came up but before the picture was visible it was the shawl done at last at last at last! Doesn't it feel great? (It also looks like it FEELS great! It looks very warm but also very elegant. I'm not usually a fringe fan but it looks very well suited to your Crescendo! It is weird how a project that lingers then finally gets done kind of a hole behind when it moves onto the finished pile! Many congratulations on a job well DONE!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful blog you have. You have done a tremendous job. I am so impressed!
Paula H.

Erin @Days to Remember said...

Wow, Cheryl! That looks beautiful. Nice job, and way to go on completing it!

Tan Family said...

Cheryl, I'm so impressed! This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. :) --Jennifer

Pickyknitter said...

Yay it's done! You should post the picture to the group *hint hint* Are you ready to knit something small and bright now?

Lee Ann said...

Gosh that is absolutely gorgeous!!! I wouldn't change it at all. You should be very happy with it. And it does look good with fringe.