Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Startitis

I think I have a case of Startitis.  You know...the uncontrollable urge to keep starting new projects?
Yup!  That's what I've been doing!  I've got an extra strong love of all things yarny.
Then, add to that our upcoming road trip that I need to plan projects for and I've ended up
starting project after project and I have several more picked out that I can't wait to start.

Here's one that I started last night.  It's the GAP-tastic Cowl pattern.  It's a freebie on Ravelry that I've made before and love.  I had a bag full of yarn I'd spun up several years ago that I thought would be perfect for this.  I wound the skeins into pull balls last week.  I'm using size 11 needles.  Here's a photo of what the roving looked like, the pull balls (there are five of them), and my started project...


I've been trying so hard to find the perfect pattern to go with this stash yarn.  I bought it in Sedona a few years ago.  I love the oranges and pinks in it.  I finally decided to go with the Claudia Scarf.
I've made one of these before too and I love it.  And, this time, I'm thinking of turning it into a cowl.
It's a 460 yard skein of Ella Rae Lace Merino.  I'm using a size "H" crochet hook.
I think this stitch pattern is showing off the colors and lovely texture of the yarn quite well.


I've made some progress on the toe-up sock I started last week...


I've even made a couple of tiny, knitted gift projects over the past week too.
I'm having so much fun!  And, I'm doing lots of stash busting!

There's something about going on a trip that fires up my yarny passion.  I always get so excited about the possibilities of all the time I'll have and projects I can work on.  It's like I think there will be more hours in each day and more days in each week.  It never works out that way.  But, it's fun to dream!
As you may be thinking....I will probably be taking a very large bag full of yarn and projects!

P.S.  We'll be leaving soon on our trip.  I'm wondering if anyone has any can't-miss suggestions of things to see or do in some of the places we'll be.....Taos, New Mexico; Memphis, Tennessee; New Orleans, Louisiana; Dodge City, Kansas; Tucson, Arizona; Austin, Texas; Conroe, Texas; and Fredericksburg, Texas.  Awesome yarn shops and antique stores are some of my favorite things
to find but I'm open to lots of other great things to see and do too.  Thanks!  :-)

10 comments:

Susan said...

Such beautiful yarn! I knit that cowl for my BFF and am going to make one for myself. I love it! Have a wonderful trip with your daughter - I know you will take great pictures to share with us (hint, hint)... :)

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds like an amazing trip, all those places. Looking forward to hearing all about them.

Michelle said...

I think I need a case of this! lol

Delighted Hands said...

You've got some beautiful projects to play with right now! The hand spun yarn is beautiful...I will have to check out this cowl pattern! Your socks are coming along nicely-keep going!

Dixie said...

Weaving Southwest, just north of Taos, is a must-visit. I haven't been to the new location, and it was over 10 years ago when I visited the store, but their web site indicates they still carry wonderful yarns hand dyed by them. Lots of weaving supplies, too. You can find them easily with a Google search. Enjoy your trip!

gilly said...

Such pretty yarns, and it's always fun to plan new holiday crafty projects. Your trip sounds fabulous - do you follow lovely Val at Yarni Gras blog, she's in New Orleans and I'm sure would give you lots of tips of what to see & do..and where the crafty shops are :-)
Find the link via my blog if you want to.
Have a super holiday, and I look forward to reading all about it!
xx

benita said...

Wow! That's going to be a nice trip! Have lots and fun and we can't wait to see what you bring home from your wanderings.

Mereknits said...

I love to plan my yarn projects for a trip, you are just going to have so much fun. I love what you are making, start-itis is working for you.
hugs,
Meredith

judith said...

Lots of great places in Texas to see. If you find yourself on Congress just off 6th stree and get thirsty go see my daughter at Shiner's (like the beer) Saloon. Just ask for Jolea. Tons of great places to eat in Austin. Then in Fredricksberg great wineries. Conroe? Why? Just stay off the lake, too many boats and not enough lake.

Quinn said...

So many projects! And all so pretty. I'll be lookng forward to reading what you think of toe-up as compared to cuff-down sock knitting...I keep a few toe-up patterns in my rav fave list just in case I ever get tired of cuff-down.
I hope you and your daughter have a splendid trip!! Can't suggest any specifics as it has been years (or even decades) since I've been in some of those areas. But you are sure to find many interesting and memorable places along the way. Have fun!