Friday, June 6, 2014

My First Toe-Up Socks!

My knit group planned an extra outing this week at Tom's Farms.
It's a nice little place with shops selling produce, candies, jams, fresh baked breads, etc. along with a couple different restaurants, a pond, attractions for kids and more.  We sat in a shady spot by the pond and the weather was perfect.  We stitched and chatted for hours.  Some of us even grabbed a bite to eat.  One of the knitters in the group tried to teach me how to knit toe-up socks.
I just wasn't getting it though and eventually ripped it out and moved on to something else.

When I got home, I looked up some how-to help on YouTube and found THIS video.
It made all the difference and LOOK!  I'm doing it!...


I'm so excited!  I've got a good start on the toe and should be up to the foot part in a few more rows.
Hopefully, I'll be able to find a video on how to knit the heel parts that makes as much sense.
It will be so wonderful to not have to do kitchener stitch anymore.  And, to be able to utilize more of the yarn and not worry about running out.

After our stitch gathering, we all headed over to the market there and bought some fresh fruit and veggies.  Of course, I had to stroll through the candy area to see what they had!
I spotted the peanut brittle and couldn't resist buying a box of it.  It's SOOOOO yummy!
I think I could eat the whole box!  I'm trying hard to restrain myself.


Have a wonderful weekend!

10 comments:

September Violets said...

Congratulations on your toe-up socks! I still have to get the nerve up to try socks either top down or toe up ;) Wendy x

Dixie said...

It does take some time to wrap one's head around toe-up techniques, but once you've learned them, you'll love it. Have fun with your project!

Delighted Hands said...

Yippee for the socks and peanut brittle! Enjoy! Toe-up socks and short row heels...nothing can beat this combination! You're going to love it!

mamasmercantile said...

Peanut brittle, one of my favourites. Good luck with the new knittinf technique and have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Good Going! everything I know about knitting and crochet, I taught myself and it feels good. I can't wait to see the finished results!
Homemade peanut brittle is irresistible for sure. Have a great weekend!
~Dawn

Mereknits said...

Woo Hoo! Good for you, toe up socks are lots of fun.
Hugs,
Meredith

thewovenspoke said...

Good for you, sounds like you had a good time. I am all thumbs when it comes to knitting.

judith said...

I've done more top down than toe up socks. Working the heel on the toe ups sort-of scares me, but once you get past that you can fly through the cuff.

Sandy O' said...

Toe-up socks are great to knit with the self striping yarn. I use the "after-thought" heel technique which still uses the Kitchner stitch for the heel. The peanut brittle looks good, but none for me, once I get started, I can't quit!
Great weekend greetings!

benita said...

Goodness that peanut brittle looks wonderful and here I am no longer eating sugar. Is drool fattening, I wonder. :)

I am going to watch that video - toe-up socks have been my bane and I'd like to get over it.