Friday, January 20, 2012

Souper Soup

I made some soup last night that was super flavorful and delicious and surprisingly easy to make. I definitely want to make it again. So, I need to note what I used and how I did it. I'll do that here so I can share the recipe and easily pull it up whenever I want to use it. The inspiration came from a recipe my husband found online. I wrote down the ingredients I didn't have and went shopping. I found some of the ingredients but had to substitute others. When it came time to make it, I couldn't find where he'd saved the recipe. So, I winged it. Here's what I used and how I made it...

Ingredients

1-2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1/2 small to medium onion finely chopped
olive oil
1 49 1/2 ounce can of chicken stock
1 28 ounce can of stewed tomatoes broken up (don't use the juice)
1 15 ounce can of kidney beans drained and rinsed (the original recipe called for canellini but I couldn't find any)
2 medium zucchini quartered lengthwise and sliced into pieces
1 bunch of Swiss chard sliced lengthwise and then into strips (the recipe called for
collards but I couldn't find these either)
Fresh Basil finely chopped (I used a frozen cube of it I had made from my summer basil plants)
Parmesan Cheese finely grated
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat a large pan on medium high, add few tablespoons of olive oil and the onion and cook until almost caramelized, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for a minute or so for the flavors to bloom and mellow but don't let it brown. Stir in the chicken stock. Add and stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, zucchini, Swiss chard, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle and stir in some Parmesan cheese, a little at a time so it doesn't clump, maybe a quarter cup or more. Serve hot with freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy!

I'm not sure if I used all the ingredients that were in the original recipe, how many things I changed or how different my amounts were. I know the original called for prosciutto but I left that out. We were amazed at how flavorful and delicious this soup was. I wanted to just keep eating and eating but it was very filling. I'll definitely make it again and probably soon. If you try it, let me know what you think or what changes you make. Enjoy!

2 comments:

judith said...

Sounds yummy! Sometimes you can find the canellini beans over in the ethnic Italian foods sections. I like the creamy texture on canellini beans, maybe give them a try next time. Also collard greens are a Southern vegetable and you may have to find it frozen where you live. Wal-mart brand is probably the best frozen, but I prefer fresh.

Life Looms Large said...

That looks really good. I'll have to give it a try soon! Great idea to freeze basil that way. I should try that also!!!

Sue