Friday, July 31, 2009

Summer Refresher

We've done it again! We've successfully figured out how to make a favorite coffee shop drink at home...for sooo much less. A few years ago I started making my own flavored syrup so I could make my own vanilla lattes and caramel macchiatos at home. They're so good and I know I've saved lots of money by making them myself...or, at least had a lot more of them than I would have been able to afford. This summer, my daughter and I discovered a refreshing drink....green tea lemonade...


It seemed like an easy thing to make...and it is! We used one can of Trader Joe's frozen lemonade and mixed it with Trader Joe's green tea (five teabags) that we'd made up and allowed to cool (the same amount of water directed on the can), mixed it up and poured it over ice. Yummmm! Tasty and refreshing! :-)

An added note...coffee has about 40mg of caffeine per cup and it turns out that green tea has about 32mg. That makes it a great alternative to coffee for a shot of caffeine. But, if you're looking to drink less caffeine, consider using de-caffeinated green tea.

4 comments:

Pickyknitter said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. how does one make her own flavored syrups?? or I suppose I can google it. Have you seen the Smitten Kitchen blog?

Acorn to Oak said...

To make your own vanilla syrup...scroll down on my blog to "labels" and click on cooking...scroll down and you'll find the recipe and directions. It's soooo easy, you won't believe it! You can use 3/4 cup of water and 3/4 cup of sugar instead of one cup and use 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla. I think it's a bit tastier that way. Bon Appetit

Tan Family said...

Sounds so yummy! Tea is definitely better than coffee. :)

Debbie said...

Yummy! I can't wait to make this. :)