Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Wednesday Work in Progress

I thought I'd share what I'm working on...


It looks like a crazy mess, doesn't it?!

It's four of the eight parts I'm knitting to make a "Yuletide Gnome".  I found the pattern on Ravelry years ago and instantly fell in love.  It's been sitting in my Ravelry queue ever since.  I recently showed it to a friend in my stitch group who also fell in love with it.  She wanted to make one too.  So, we started them at the same time.  She's a fast and confident knitter and she's already on her second gnome (she's making some for Christmas gifts).  I'm not as confident at my knitting and haven't had a lot of time to work on it.  But, I'm making progress.  I just finished an arm and mitten this morning.  I have one more arm, the hat, nose, and beard to make before stuffing it all and sewing it together.  It'll be fun to see it come together!

A note about the pattern...it's super cute but the pattern is a little weird in that it directs to knit it on straight needles and sew up the front of the body, each leg, and each arm.  That's a LOT of extra sewing!  Luckily, other Ravelers have written out new versions to knit all the parts in the round.  That's SO much easier.  I think it should look a lot nicer too.

This is the first time I've ever knitted anything like this.  It's challenging yet surprisingly simple at the same time.  I'm sure I must be growing new brain cells and improving my knitting skills!  lol

Have you ever knitted something like this?

4 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

I popped over to look, its brilliant, a great stocking stuffer. I don't do a lot of knitting but I have done some crochet toys in the round. Good luck with it.

Delighted Hands said...

I can admire them but they aren't the knit-boost projects for me!
I am glad you are enjoying it and growing knit-cells! lol

Susan said...

That is the cutest thing! You made me think that I should go through my patterns and find my little knitted bluebird pattern. Maybe that would make spring come faster. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Mereknits said...

It is going to be very fun to put it all together.
Hugs,
Meredith