Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Road Trip, Days 7 through 12 - Fiber Highlight

Something I love to do on just about every trip I take is to visit yarn shops.  This three week road trip was no exception.  I had searched online for yarn shops in every city we were planning to visit and even some in between and along the way.  It hadn't gone all that well through the first week as some were closed the day we were in town and some had gone out of business.  And, some just weren't all that great.  So, I'd really only had yarn shop fun in one place over the first week, iPurl in The Woodlands, Texas.  But, I still kept trying.

One place that had been on my list since I started planning the trip was "The Quarter Stitch".  It's right in the middle of the French Quarter and on the same street as the cathedral.  It was a surprise to me that there was a yarn shop in the French Quarter and I wasn't about to miss it.

I didn't get a picture of the front of the store.  But, here's a picture of the sign hanging outside of it...


It was a very colorful store filled with lots of yarn, needlepoint canvas and bins of yarn strands in many colors for needlepoint.  It was fun to look through.


They had huge balls of yarn in the front of the store...


And, some interesting and brightly colored yarn made from fabric strips...


They had lots of other pretty yarns throughout the store...


Almost right across the street was a something that I didn't know about ahead of time, a weaver.  Stopping in there turned out to be one of the highlights of our time in the French Quarter.  Not only was it exciting to find a weaving shop and see the gorgeous rugs that were for sale and being made but the owner is a gem that we were honored and thrilled to meet.  She was so sweet and fun to visit with.  We chatted for a long time the first day and went back a second time for another visit.  The shop was like a little escape or oasis from the chaos of the quarter.  It was so inviting and comforting.  We loved it!  This is a place not to miss if you're ever in the French quarter.  And, of course, if you're in the market for a beautiful rug, give her a call or visit her website HERE.  Click on the link to see some of her gorgeous work.  I love her sign too!


Another treat at the weaving shop were the kitties that she's rescued.  It was so fun to see and visit with some furry friends while we were so far from home.  They were all so cute!








This one snuggled up next to my feet when I first got there.
Awww...so sweet!


Then, later during our visit, I sat on the floor and the same kitty snuggled up next to me on my skirt.


Such a pretty kitty!  I think it liked me!


I just love meeting people in other places and getting to know them, hearing their stories, learning about the area we're visiting, and connecting.  Our visits with Ronda were priceless and a treasured memory of our trip.  I feel like I made a friend and I hope we can stay in touch.

Oh...and, if you're ever in the market for handwoven baskets, she has some
beautiful ones in her shop as well.  They're made by one of her assistants.

Do you like to visit yarn shops and weavers on your travels?  Or, do you have a specific thing you always seek out when you're traveling?  I'd love to hear about it!  :-)

Thanks for stopping by!  Stay tuned...there's more to come!

7 comments:

Susan said...

That DOES look like an oasis! I love the kitties on the rugs - I would have felt right at home. Did you make out of there with or without a rug? I think it would be so much fun to visit yarn stores all over the country. Can't wait to hear/see more!

mamasmercantile said...

I always visit a craft shop of some description and either a thrift shop or flea market. The temptation to buy a rug would have been too much for me.

Art and Sand said...

I love all your photos of the colorful yarns.

Delighted Hands said...

What great trip stops! I love to collect yarn/fiber for souvenirs!
All those colors would do your spirit good!

Sel and Poivre said...

Well I feel like I've just had a great tour of New Orleans myself! What a great account - for this and all your posts from this trip!

Mereknits said...

I would have been right there visiting those shops with you, I love to do that. Hugs,
Meredith

Vicki Boster said...

More love!!! Beautiful yarns!!!! And I love the kitties-/ they have certainly found forever homes:)
Vicki