Thursday, January 30, 2014

Workout Challenge and Reward

I have such a hard time sticking to regular exercise!  It's so boring!
I'd much rather go hike up a mountain, ride my mountain bike, ski, or explore a canyon!
But, that's not something I can do everyday.

In an effort to try and get myself on track with regular and worthwhile exercise/running,
I'm giving myself small challenges.  They should be much easier to meet than something like a 5k in three months.  For my first challenge, I decided I needed to work out a minimum of five days
in the first week.  If I did that, I'd get to go buy a piece of workout clothing.
I already had my eye on something I'd recently seen but wouldn't let myself get.
I couldn't justify it if I really wasn't working out!

It worked!  I worked out five days in the first week and ran/walked a total of 11 miles.
Woot!  Here's my new workout top!  It's so cute!  And, such a deal at TJ Max!
Check out the adorable little ruffle and gather on the t-back...


The back is longer than the front and covers up my tush!


I had worn out running shoes and lucked out at REI this week on a new pair that was on clearance
I also picked up a set of six pairs of socks at TJ Max for only $5.99 (that's like $1 per pair!).


I've got Pandora on my phone for tunes to keep me going.  
And, Endomondo to keep track of miles and all that good stuff.  

I'm on track again this week...I've done four out of five days so far.  And, I'm up to almost twelve miles so far this week...almost 23 miles since I started my challenges!  This challenge will earn me a new pair of exercise pants/tights.  It may get a bit more challenging next week when my daughter moves back to go to school and I'll be working out on my own.  But, I CAN DO IT!  :-D

16 comments:

Sandy O' said...

Good for you! That is a cute outfit. I'm more of the sweat pants and long sleeve shirts. My "Get Healthier" challenge was to go without sugar and chocolate for a month. Did it and now it's not hard to pass on the sweets. My next challenge will be bike or walk every day for the next month.
Just do it!

benita said...

Awesome! I like the rewards program you are giving yourself. Things to help you work out, not a treat like ice cream. ;)

Sarah and Dan said...

My sister is trying to get me to do the insanity workouts. I think it's pretty insane to workout, so I don't know if she'll get too far in her efforts... until I see her ripped muscles in a few months!

Susan said...

I am itching to get out there, but draw the line when the temps are single digits or below zero! I miss my long walks up my mountain!

Teresa Kasner said...

I know you can keep it up.. I swam alone for years but now Gracie swims with me.. perhaps you can find a running partner? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Mereknits said...

Look at you go! Bravo, I am so proud of you.
Hugs,
Meredith

Art and Sand said...

My best exercise is swimming because it doesn't hurt my joints. But, I have long hair and it is a pain to wash and dry it every single day. But, I went 2 days in a row. I can't go tonight because we have a dinner party to attend, but I will be back in the pool tomorrow. I won't allow myself to buy anything to wear until my weight is back to normal.

For the whole month of January the goal was to fit into my new ski pants. My daughter works at Patagonia and got me a great deal on a fun pair of coral ski pants, but the day she brought them home I couldn't zip them. Last weekend I wore them on our ski trip to Utah.

Slow but steady is how we will win this race.

Keep up the good work!

Laurie said...

Way to go! You'll be hooked soon. I love to run and I'm training for a 9-mile trail run that takes place Feb 15th. I've recently added working with weights. Keep up the good work!

Rubye Jack said...

I never could workout. No way. But I could hike. For me there is something about being alone out in nature that makes me want to just keep on walking. Now my knees are messed up and since there is no pool around here, I don't know what to do.
That's great that you are doing so well. Keep it up!

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

That's great! I also need a change of scenery for workouts. I love walking outdoors, but with winter having so many unfriendly days, I'm often stuck inside. So, for variety, I look to music. I've amassed quite a collection since I've started to take my health more seriously.
Andrea

CatieAn said...

good for you. That is a cute outfit. Now that you are all set with shoes and a new top you should be all fired up!

September Violets said...

I like your incentives! Congratulations on achieving your goals!! I've had trouble getting out for walks for the past two weeks ... usually I'm out every single day for a walk. I used to work out when I was young(er), but now I just keep to a good hour's walk each day and it's something I'll stick with because I really enjoy it ... winter weather permitting :[ Wendy x

roxie said...

Yeeha! Rock on!

Vicki Boster said...

Good for you-- and keep up the good work. For me -- it's hard to be motivated in the winter. I'd be lost without my daily Curves workout-- but I'm so ready to be outside on a hike!
Vicki

Anonymous said...

I have just gad a lovely wander around your beautiful blog. I had to stop to wipe my eyes when I got to the part about your beautiful daughter playing her harp in the hospital for her Grandpa.
Enduring,sweet love by you all for such special grandparents.
Good luck with that exercise regime x

judith said...

Maybe that's what I need to be inspired, a reward.