Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Woodland Lace

My Spring cleaning this year has started with my craft studio and finishing up projects that have been WIPs for way too long.  I finished the Bora Bora shawl a few weeks ago.  This last week, I finished a lace scarf that I started almost a year ago.  I blocked it yesterday and just finished pulling out all the pins and taking pictures.  
Here it is...


The pattern is "Strangling Vine Lace Scarf".  It's a free pattern that I found on Ravelry.
It's well written and very easy to knit.
I just noticed that I didn't mark a needle size in my Ravelry notes.  Ooops!
But, I'm pretty sure I used the recommended size four that's listed on the pattern.
The finished size is about 7" x 76".


I used a skein of "Hazel Knits Piquant Lite" yarn in the 252 Woodland colorway (400 yards).
I love all the different shades of green.  It's rich and beautiful. 
The bits of light in it remind me of being in the woods with bits of sunshine streaming through.
Because of that, and all the shades of green you'd see in a forest, I decided to name my scarf "Woodland Lace".   I like that name much better than "strangling" lace.


The scalloped ends are a nice touch.
The overall pattern looks like vines and also like pine trees.


 Blocking is always like magic to me.
And, if I didn't know that blocking could turn this...


Into this...


I might not have continued after the first couple of inches.
I'm glad I did.  And, I'm so happy to have picked it up a few weeks ago and finally finished it.
It turned out beautiful and the timing is perfect for Saint Patrick's Day this weekend!

26 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful and intricate!

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

What a lovely pattern, and such pretty yarn, too.

Miss LindaLee said...

Where did you find your yarn girlfriend? I love the colors in it. The store that Ravelry sent me to was off line for the time being. I have printed the pattern and want to make one in the same color that you used. It does indeed remind me of a forest with the sun coming through the trees. What a beautiful job you did blocking it and all.
LindaLee from
CrossN' My Stitches

Judy S said...

Cheryl it's beautiful!! Congrats on another job well done!

Deborah said...

So lovely! Love the color!

Bernadett said...

Great.:)I like the color very much.:)

kathyinozarks said...

I love the open pattern very pretty

Cindie said...

It's beautiful - I'll have to go check out that pattern.

September Violets said...

This scarf is gorgeous! I like how you described the yarn as being in the forest. I'm going to look it up on Ravelry too and maybe tuck it in my library :) Isn't it a great feeling to get a wip competed? Wendy

Dixie said...

What a lovely scarf, and your knitting is just perfect. Very nice!

Art and Sand said...

The design is beautiful. With retirement only 12 weeks away, I can start thinking about some knitting projects. I liked your term WIPs. I have far too many WIPs.

Good luck with the spring cleaning.

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful! I love how blocking just brings out the stitch. Great yarn color, too. Sunday is St. Patricks day, I'd wear it ;-)
Have a great day!
~Dawn

Elisabeth said...

Beautiful! The yarn you have used is lovely. Blocking is a miracle worker, isn't it? I'm always amazed how blocking a lacy shawl can change it so much. Have a lovely day! Elisabeth x

roxie said...

Bravo! Beautiful, beautiful work!

lynn cockrell said...

How positively gorgeous this is!

Susan said...

Beautiful combination of pattern, yarn and talent!

Vicki Boster said...

Cheryl- your newest scarf is just exquisite- such an amazing pattern. I'm jealous of anyone who can master those lovely lace designs. You have created another beautiful masterpiece!
xoxo
Vicki

linda said...

What a beautiful scarf, I love it :)

Connie said...

Your needle work is always amazing. I love this and the colors are marvelous :) I was also intrigued by your road trip through the sheep herding area. How cool is that!

I too am a fan of transferware and I love your recent find ~ "botanicals and birds" it is beautiful.
Have a lovely day.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Quinn said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the colors, and so suitable for the stitch pattern, too. The before-blocking picture is kind of a shock...quite a transformation!

(Thanks for your lettuce support...I need all the good vibes I can get when it comes to gardening!)

Teresa Kasner said...

That scarf is just gorgeous and perfect for St. Patty's day! Thanks for sharing it.. lovely.
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

The Sage Butterfly said...

That is a lovely pattern. And the yarn is beautiful. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

KarenB said...

Just gorgeous! Your are a knitting rock star. Seriously, you can really crank out the projects. Have fun on your trip!
Karen

evergreenknits said...

Beautiful! That color evokes such a gorgeous deep woods scene, and the pattern is perfect for it. I imagine it must be perfect to wear this time of year!

Deb said...

Such a beautiful, delicate pattern & I love the colour wool ♥

sandy said...

Just fantastic! You are so talented, I really wish I could learn to knit and crochet. I will try someday!

Oh my goodness, how awesome to see all those sheep! You would have thought you were in Europe. I'd give anything to have seen them!

have a wonderful week-end!