Thursday, October 18, 2012

Serenity Scarf

I wove a scarf this week.  It was a quick and easy project and I'm pretty happy with the outcome.


It all started a few months ago when I bought some yarn that I'd instantly fallen in love with and knew immediately that I wanted to weave with it.  The blues and browns are pretty.  The yarn is "Serenity Garden" and the colorway is "Twilight".   This project took two skeins for the warp and one and a half skeins for the weft.  It's done in plain weave with 12 ends per inch. 


As I wove it, the colors in the yarn created stripes and a slight plaid-like feel.



The finished size is 8 1/2" by 90", plus 5 1/2" of fringe on each end (101" total).  The long length will make it possible to wrap it around my neck a couple of times for more warmth, or drape nicely for a pop of color and texture.


Such pretty colors!


I love twisted fringe and have been wanting to try it for a long time.  I finally did it!  But, now I know why there are fringe twisting tools.  My fingers got tired very quickly from all the twisting.


The weather forecast is showing hope for cooler, fall-like weather.  Maybe, I'll get to wear it soon!

12 comments:

Denise said...

Very pretty! . . .and now you have me thinking . . . . oh and I purchased a Conair "hairbraider" off Ebay for twisting fringe. Works great for fringe. . . . would not want it anywhere near my hair!

Laurie Constable said...

Love it! It's a beautiful scarf. You are a prolific artist. I'm impressed!

momp'sgirl said...

That is so beautiful! I love thay Serenity yarn and all the colorways it comes in. I definitely want to get a fringe-twister--my weaving instructor has one (I think a Leclerc) that twists up to 4 at a time and it's awesome!

RodPrjónar said...

OH LORD!!!
I am speechless!!! This is so tremendously beautiful!!
The colors and the pattern they make is just gorgeous!
How do you do this?!
If I had to use just one word it would be PERFECTION!!

Have a great weekend! And thank you for sharing such a delightful piece of work :)

Dave Daniels said...

Beautiful weaving! I like how the colors give it a plaid/striped affect. The fringe is amazing, especially since you literally HAND twisted it!

Sandra said...

Love it! The colours are beautiful, and the weaving really brings them out. And yes, get a fringe twister! THere are electric ones, but I have a little hand-held wooden one that works great. That's one of those tedious jobs that you need a tool for...

harpcat said...

It's sooooo pretty! I absolutely love it!!!!! You're so talented. ;-)

judith said...

Beautiful! Why is it I want to copy everything you do? You are my idol. I have got to get back on the loom. I want to make a jacket! But I have to finish this aran hoodie first, I just HAVE to!

KarenB said...

Gorgeous Cheryl. And here my loom is in its box.

roxie said...

A work of art! Good on you. But where did you find the time?

Benita said...

I love the plaid-like pattern in the weave. Sweet!!

Sea Witch said...

Lovely scarf and looks so warm and toasty. Just found your blog via the Grow Your Own Blog event. So glad to meet you. Sea Witch - Musings of a Sea Witch