Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Halloween Happenstance

I love to travel and when I do I'm always on the lookout for new and fun things. Some of the tops on my list are food, yarn and antiques. My recent trip to Colorado was no exception. I found all three and many more. The last day of my trip was spent poking around antique stores. I love doing this because antique stores seem to be different everywhere I go. I love that! I found something on this trip that I've seen in books and magazines for decades but, until now, have never seen in person. These 1920's paper mache Jack O'Lanterns...


...And, not just one, but five (one in the picture is tin). I don't know a lot about them but from what little information I've found, they are often from Germany...which makes sense to me as I've seen a lot of old and wonderful paper mache from Germany. I have some great old Easter eggs that say they were made in "West Germany". Cool, huh?! These Jack O'Lanterns are great....notice how some of them have cutouts to see an inset of the eyes, mouth and nose (click on the picture to enlarge it). They were all around 6" or so high and wide and in pretty good condition. The prices ran from $45 to $110 each. They aren't on my list of things I want to collect but it sure was fun to find them!

2 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

I love finding things in shops - I rarely have a need to buy them but it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of finding them - thanks for sharing these beauties!

judith said...

Colorado has some of the greatest antique shops. I remember my Aunt used to have some of these.