Monday, August 17, 2009

Stars and Stripes

I started this sock earlier this summer and finished it once...but I had so much yarn left over that I ripped it back to the leg to add more length, in an attempt to use up more of the yarn...I don't like to be wasteful or have leftovers. After I added more to the leg, I was a little concerned whether or not I'd have enough to complete the foot, even though I weighed the yarn to try and make a more scientific guestimate. Well, I had enough! Yay! Here's sock number one, for the second time...


I still have another sock to knit but I'm excited about these socks and can't wait to show how cute they are and my "star toe"!...


I saw some socks last week that were made with a different kind of toe that avoids having to use kitchener stitching... something I don't enjoy and the possibility of skipping this was too good to pass up. I came home, started googling various ideas of what it might be called, found some pictures of various knit toe methods and easy directions (scroll to the bottom of the link to "star toe"). I couldn't wait to try it out, so I used it on this sock. It was simple and makes a nicely shaped toe.

This Knitcol yarn makes such cute and colorful stripes and with the "star toes"...these are now aptly named, "Stars and Stripes". :-D

I'm off to knit the second one...only once!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Pretty socks and yarn...you knitted them so quickly!

judith said...

Cute! I was thinking of trying that toe, thanks for letting me know how easy it is.

KarenB said...

I didn't really look at that toe this morning. I should've since I will hopefully be there pretty soon! Maybe tonight.