Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Yarn Fun!


On Sunday a bunch of us from a local knit/crochet group took a field trip to Encinitas for a day of yarn shopping and fun by the beach. It was a beautiful day and we all had so much fun. We visited the two yarn shops in town, "Common Thread" and "Black Sheep". I always enjoy shopping at those stores but it was even more fun to see how excited the other ladies got over new stores and all the beautiful yarns.

My purchase that day was "Knitcol Trends". I love self striping yarns! They're so fun because every few rows the color changes and it's like a new project over and over. I thought this yarn would be great for a simple scarf. But...I'm thinking that fingerless gloves might be even better. They'd be adorable!!! So...I'm setting it aside for now as I look for the perfect pattern. Either way, I love the stripes and colors of this yarn!


Last year I was inspired by some free form crochet projects happening at a LYS and decided to try it out. They had classes but being the budget minded person I am, and that the concept was that it's "free form" and you do what you want, I figured I didn't need lessons and decided to go for it. I was determined to make it with yarn from my stash and not buy any. I played with various yarn combinations and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It started out looking like an octopus and ended up as beautiful bag (It looks much prettier in person as the photo doesn't show the details or the colors well). I lined it with black fabric (the only thing I bought for it) but got stuck on what to do for the handles. So, it's been sitting and waiting for inspiration which I got this morning. I quickly got to work and....Ta Da! A completed, free form crochet bag! I'm really happy with it but it's not quite my style. So, I'm not sure where it will end up. Maybe I'll be brave and bold...nah...my daughter loves it...maybe she'll get it...or...maybe I can sell it. We'll see.

2 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

I'm into trying things out on my own too. It looks like it worked very very well for you! Your knitting day out sounds spectacular - yarn aside I envy your local yarn trip being able to also take in a California Beach!

Lee Ann said...

Your freeform bag is so beautiful... It will go nicely with my shawl. I'll have to borrow it sometime. :)