Saturday, December 30, 2017

Simple Spiral Cowl Pattern

At the beginning of the year I challenged myself to creating 52 things...equal to one per week.  That seemed simple enough since I'm usually always creating something.  It went well at the beginning of the year but I seemed to have lost my mojo a few months ago and got behind.  Now, with just days left in the year, I'm scrambling to achieve my challenge.  That's where this cowl pattern comes in. 

One evening last week I decided to go through my yarn stash to see if I could find some inspiration.  I pulled out a couple of almost full skeins of Caron Simply Soft yarn that were left over from another project.  I quickly got a pattern idea in my head, selected a crochet hook, and got started.  It turned out so well that I whipped up a second one and had two finished by the next evening.  I think each one only took a couple of hours.  I love how they look and fit.  And, the pattern is super simple and fun to make.

It was unusual to come up with an idea so quickly and for it to work out so well.  Maybe my mojo has been there all along...it just needed a deadline to get going!

I loved the results of this pattern so much that I decided to write a pattern to share.  It's a good thing I did because I quickly started getting requests for one when I posted pictures on Instagram and Facebook.  I hope you all enjoy it.  Please let me know if there are any questions, problems, or things that need to be clarified or changed.  And, let me know what you think.  Thanks!

Simple Spiral Cowl




For this project I used:

Crochet Hook:  Size "J" crochet hook
If you're using a different yarn, adjust the hook size accordingly to get the look and fit you like.

Yarn:  One skein of Caron Simply Soft yarn - 315 yards
You can use any yarn you like.  Just adjust the hook size to match.  The cowl can be made in various sizes from the one shown (using about four ounces of yarn) to a longer version (using the entire skein) which can double as a hood.

Stitches used in this pattern:  Chain, slip stitch, single crochet, and half double crochet

Difficulty: Easy/Beginner

Finished size:  approximately 12" wide by 13"+ long

This pattern is made in a spiral that doesn't have a beginning and end on each round.  It simply works up with two different stitches until it's the desired size or yarn runs out.

Instructions:

Chain 101 (adjust accordingly to the desired size if you use a different yarn).  To make it larger or smaller, add or subtract 10 chain stitches (to get a multiple of 10 plus one).

Being careful not to twist the chain, slip stitch into first chain (to create a circle).  Chain two, *skip the next stitch, half  double crochet in the next stitch, chain one*. Continue with pattern ** to first chain two.  Half double crochet into chain two space, *chain one, skip next stitch, half double crochet into next chain one space*. Continue in pattern ** until cowl is about 13" long or desired length.  Single crochet in next chain one space, chain one, slip stitch in next chain one space. Fasten off, tuck in the ends, and enjoy!

6 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

The cowl is beautiful! Nice work and thank you for sharing the pattern!

Mereknits said...

IT is a perfect cowl, thank you for the pattern. Happy New Year.

mamasmercantile said...

A great make, love the colours. Best wishes for 2018.

Turn The Page said...

These are wonderful!

Sandi said...

Oh, wow, what a fabulous idea! Silly question...how do you make it one piece?

Lisa said...

The cowl is lovely. Thank you for sharing the pattern. I definitely want to make one.