Friday, June 23, 2017

City Hike - San Diego

Our 52 hike challenge is tough to keep up with lately because of the extreme heat wave going on right now.  So, my daughter and I decided to bend the rules a little this week and hike in the city...a cool city...San Diego!

I love San Diego and I'm always so excited to go there.  It's only about an hour south of where we live.  There are so many things to see and do in the city and the surrounding areas.  It wasn't difficult filling our day!  And, the temps were much better!  It was about 105f at home but 69-75f throughout the day in San Diego.

We started with cappuccinos at Lofty Coffee in Little Italy.  Yum!  Afterward, we walked around a bit.  We found an awesome art supply store named, "Blick".  They had so much cool stuff!  I bought a couple of Tombow brush pens to play around with.  My daughter bought a really cool map/poster of California to frame.


Next, we headed over to Old Town San Diego for lunch.  We tried a new-to-us restaurant, Miguel's.  It was delicious and the service was very good.  After lunch, we walked around Old Town.  I've been there many times but I always seem to see things I things I've never noticed before.  It's a fun place to visit.

Heritage Park is nearby and we made sure to walk around the beautiful old Victorian homes.  I think this one is my favorite...


We did a little shopping after that and then we went to find the famous Spruce Street suspension bridge.  It's a walk bridge in a residential area that spans a deep ravine.  It was a little nerve racking to walk across because of the movement.  I didn't think it would bug me but it did...a little.  It was cool to see though.  It's amazing they'd go to this much work and expense to make a way to walk to the neighborhood across the ravine!


In a neighborhood on one side of the bridge, there was a tiny library.  So cool! 


One of the things we'd planned to do was to go to an African drumming class at World Beat in Balboa Park.  Unfortunately, it was cancelled.  But, that was ok because it just gave us more time to walk around Balboa Park.  Even though the museums were all closed, there was a lot going on.  There were concerts ending, being set up, a big one about to start, and various musicians performing throughout the park.  And, the weather was absolutely perfect!  It was a perfect evening!

I love Balboa Park so much!  It's a gorgeous and magical place!  Here's sample of the amazing architecture...




We sat down and listened to this concert for a while.  It was 50's 60's and 70's music.  This is the organ pavilion.  They regularly have pipe organ concerts here.


I took a stroll around the fountain before we headed to the car to go home.


I have no idea how many miles we walked on our city hike but my step counter said we did over 21,000 steps that day!   And, we had a wonderful time!  We're actually thinking of doing another city hike but this time we'll head to downtown Los Angeles.  Stay tuned!

Have a wonderful weekend!

8 comments:

Susan said...

I love everything about this hike, with the exception of the bridge. I would never have made it across! I haven't been to San Diego for years, but I do remember that it was a beautiful city. What a nice way to get your hike in!

Sandi said...

Is that a temple? Church? Just a fabulous building?

Incredible!

Michelle said...

What a perfect day!

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds like an amazing day, you took us on a great tour.

Delighted Hands said...

San Diego was my favorite CA city-LA, horrors! lol
How beautiful and interesting your trip looks!

Betsy said...

Beautiful day and would love to cross that bridge.
betsy

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Fantastic. Amazing how the temperature can vary so greatly just an hour away. My eldest boy has been to San Diego several times -- one of his high school buddies is there for college. But I've never been to California. Growing up, it was always like a far off land from where we were in TX and LA. Perhaps I'll get there one day. Looks like ya'll had a fantastic time there. Definitely lots to see and do.

Mereknits said...

I have only been to San Diego once, it is so beautiful but of course when we were visiting the Santa Anna winds were there and it was HOT!