Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Hooked Rug

I did it!  I finally finished my wool hooked rug kit!  That's a big accomplishment!  I've had this kit longer than I'd like to admit...probably about 12-13 years!  Yikes!  That's way too long!  I got it on a trip to Texas.  I visited a wonderful yarn shop in Fredericksburg, Texas that had lots of different things to see, try, and buy.  Rug hooking was one of the many things they specialized in and one of the things I had fun trying that day.  I just HAD to buy a kit and make one!  However, soon after I got home and got started on it, I realized that this is not a craft for me.  I don't enjoy making all those loops of wool fabric line up.  It's tedious and boring.  I think that hooking it with yarn would be more fun because there's no specific direction for the yarn loops.  But, this is the kit I bought and I needed to finish it.  I kept trying but kept getting bored with it and setting it aside.

I've been on a mission lately to complete all the unfinished projects I've set aside and this was one of them.  I've been slowly working away at it for weeks.  I finally finished it today!  WOOT!



I didn't think the backing would be difficult but after trying several ways of attaching it, I realized there must be some kind of trick to making it work so the white monk's cloth wouldn't show along the edges.  Thank goodness for YouTube!  I found a video that showed me how to do it and it worked great!  It was a slow process but I finished the backing/edging in a couple of days.  I think it turned out pretty well.


I'm so happy to have this project finished!  And, it looks pretty cute too!

4 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Congratulations! It sure feels good to finish a (long-standing) UFO, doesn't it?! My Gram made so many hooked rugs; some from wool strips she cut by hand but many with yarn that she preferred for the same reason! You did a great job finishing it, too!

Susan said...

It's wonderful! Rug hooking is on my list of things to learn.

Cindie said...

It's wonderful - so glad you toughed it out and finished it.

I love the look of the wool strip hooked rugs but have never made one. I have done the yarn hooking - very fun but not for me, not enough hours in my day. And I'm sure I have a couple canvases on the shelf that need to be hooked.......one of these days.......

mamasmercantile said...

It really does look good. I admire your perseverance.