It's done! It's finally done! After two and a half years (almost three)...it's done and off the needles! All the ends are tucked in. Photos have been taken. The Ravelry project page is completed. And, it's ready to enjoy....before this winter is over! Woot! I did it! Finally!
It's already being used and enjoyed!
Penelope waited patiently through a lot of photos. She decided that she just couldn't wait any longer when I moved to the family room to take more. It was time to get warm and cozy!
"Are you done yet, mom?"
This project started with a bunch of yarn I bought to make a crochet throw. The yarn color is "Redwood Heather" and it goes perfectly with fabrics I bought for window treatments, pillows, etc. for our family room. HERE's the original post to see all the materials together. I quickly got started on the crochet throw and didn't like how the pattern looked. I ripped it out and decided to make a knitted throw instead. A little crazy because I knew it would take a LOT longer but this pattern was too pretty to resist.
It's a free pattern I found on Ravelry called, "Surrounded Afghan and Lap Robe". The main directions are for a small version but it explains how to make it larger. My version turned out to be about 44" x 66" with 35 pattern repeats across and about 47 pattern repeats for the length.
I decided a couple of months ago that this project had been going on long enough. It was time to finish it and I didn't allow myself to start on or work on any other projects until it was complete! I wanted to get it done and to do so before winter was over so we could enjoy it and not have to wait until next winter. I did it! I finished it last night! I even tested it out with a little snooze on the sofa. It passed the test! It's warm and cozy!
This is the first project I've ever done with an I-cord edging. It's actually quite simple and the results are fantastic. It creates such a nice edge around the entire throw.
I love the stitch pattern!
Nice and big!
Ok, Penelope...the picture taking is done. Enjoy our new, cozy, throw!
I used just over six skeins of Bernat Super Solids in "Redwood Heather" to make this. The total yardage was just over 2,670 yards. I knitted it with size 8 circulars and size 7 double points. There's a total of over 110,000 stitches (I calculated it a few repeats back but forgot to mark down how many stitches I had on the needles to calculate the total now that it's complete...ooops!). I had planned to make it 70" long but my hands were hurting from working with this big project, all the stitches on the needles, and the acrylic yarn. So, I decided to just finish it off a few inches short. Those extra four inches would have meant 40 more rows or around 10,000 more stitches! It's plenty long enough to curl up in. And, I'm SO ready to start something new, different, and MUCH smaller!