I worked on the back side last week and made an oops! Uh oh! I cut a little too much on one section. I'm not sure what happened. But, I think, I'll be able to make it work. I tweeked it a bit yesterday and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to make it work out okay when it's time for the binding.
Today, I finished layering the two sides with the batting, lining it up as perfect as I could, and pinning it. Then, I pulled out the quilt stand from my studio closet. My mom bought it at her church rummage sale a few years ago for a really cheap price...maybe $5. I used it once but it's been a while. So, I wasn't quite sure how it was supposed to go together. I dumped out all the pieces on the floor and scratched my head. Hmmmm? But, I got the legs put together and eventually figured out the rest.
This is the only bit of directions that it came with...a small line drawing on the side of the box...
I got the quilt on the stand and ready to tie.
Next came the decision of which thread to use for tying the quilt together. The knots are going on the back side...where the little polka dots are. It looked green until I tried to find a color match of thread or yarn for tying it. There weren't even any sewing threads that came close. I bought the three best options I could find and brought them home to have a better look and decide.
The embroidery floss was the best match for the polka dot side. But, I worry it might not stay securely tied because of it's smooth/shiny finish. The crochet thread was too green and might be too smooth too. So, I went with the Sugar N Cream. The color is a pretty good match for both sides and I think the knots should stay together better with the more textured cotton. I'm splitting the four ply into two and it's working pretty well. I'm alternating between making stitches from the top and cutting and leaving the ends on the bottom side, and then laying underneath to tie the knots and trim the ends. It's much easier on my back to go back and forth.
I'm seeing the light at the end of this quilting adventure and I really do think it'll be done soon. I can't wait to have it finished, folded, and ready to give to her. She's really excited and I think it's going to look great in her apartment bedroom. I think she'll feel lots of love when she looks at it and she'll have great memories from working on it together. I know I will. :-)